Funding and Investment Advocacy Group
The Funding Advocacy Group aims to review and influence the development of funding policy for heritage and to support members in their capacity to access funding.
The group largely faces Her Majesty’s Treasury. The group’s previous projects include setting up The Heritage Funding Directory, a database of possible heritage funding sources, and responding to Government’s ‘Philanthropy Challenge’.
Key issues for the group include the disparity in VAT between new build and restoration, as well as the future of funding for heritage charities after Brexit. Recently, the group has fed into various consultations, including on proposed changes to the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Chair: John Sell, Joint Committee of National Amenity Societies / HEF
Members represented: World Monument Fund in Britain, Heritage Railway Association, Historic Houses, Churches Conservation Trust, Country Houses Foundation, AIM, English Heritage, National Churches Trust, London Garden Trust, CPRE, Prince’s Regeneration Trust, HRBA, Canal and Rivers Trust, Architectural Heritage Fund, The Pilgrim Trust, The British Library, Historic England, the Charity Tax Group and the National Trust.
If you are a member of the Alliance, and you wish to to join the group, please contact Joe O’Donnell at email@example.com.
Publications and responses:
- The Heritage Alliance’s response to DCMS’s consultation on the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Policy Directions. [July 2018]
- The Alliance’s response to the Charity Tax Group’s call for evidence on charity tax relief. [July 2018]
- The Alliance’s response to the Heritage Lottery Fund’s consultation on their future strategy. [March 2018]
- The Heritage Alliance’s response to the Government’s consultation on Business Rates. 
- Chairman’s letter to the Prime Minister to express concern at the Cabinet Office announcement of an anti-lobbying clause to be inserted in all central government grant agreements [February 2016].
- The Heritage Funding Directory: a database of the best funding sources for heritage activities
- See the Funding AG’s latest response to the Government’s Philanthropy Challenge
- See the Funding AG’s submission to the HMRC consultation on the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme [May 2012]
- The Heritage Alliance’s response to the DCMS Ten Point Plan for Philanthropy [November 2011]